Brand is what differentiates your business in the overcrowded-competitive market. So, building a brand for your business is a crucial task. But often business owners face difficulty in creating a brand for their business. If you are thinking of building a brand for your business, then it is common for you to think about the inevitable questions like- what should my brand look like?, how will people feel about it?, etc. Check here if you are looking for brand design services.
People need something to interact with and associate with your business. This is where branding plays a pivotal role. You can’t expect to build your brand overnight. You need to be consistent and try to spread it across every part of your business. Here are seven tips that will help you in creating a popular brand design for your business.
Know your place in the market
If you are keen on creating a brand for your business, you need to start off by understanding the current market. Understanding the market means knowing about your potential customers and competitors in the field. There are some ways to go about this.
- Take the help of search engines to search about the products or services you offer. Analyze the data to find direct and indirect competitors for your business.
- Go to the platforms where your target audience are, and eavesdrop on their conversations. Understand what they are expecting from a business like yours.
- Reach out to people in your target market and enquire what brands they prefer buying from in your field.
- Make use of social media platforms to get hold of your competitors’ pages and the content they are posting to interact with the audience.
- Get a shopping experience for yourself either online or offline to understand how your customers feel while browning and purchasing the products.
While doing this research, it is necessary for you to take note of the following things- know who your easy to sell customers are, well renowned brands that established themselves in the niche that you are operating in, and the interests and expectations of your customers.
It is crucial to get this step right as this will tell you about what your brand should focus on and how you should position it to make it stand apart from your fellow competitors.
Define your focus
You can’t expect to fulfil everything from your brand, especially when you are in the starting stage. So, it is necessary for you to understand what your focus is and inform people about it. Here are some questions that will help you decide the focus of your brand.
- Positioning statement- Typically, a positioning statement of one or two lines will explain your stake in the market. This is not something that you put on your website or business card. It is only there to help you ask and answer the right questions about your brand.
- Words you would like to associate your brand with- Your brand is nothing less than a person. Just like every person having personality, your brand should also have personality. Research what type of personality would attract your customers. Doing this will set the tone of all your writings.
- Choose metaphors that describe your brand- Think of your brand as a metaphor or personify it. This will help you in identifying the individual qualities you want to have in your brand.
Pick a name for your brand
While your brand is more than a name, having a name will play a significant role in marketing. Typically, you should choose a brand name that is very hard to imitate and harder to get confused with existing players in the market.
If you are planning to expand your business by offering more products, then it is advisable for you to consider having a business name that is easier to pivot. You can brainstorm a name for your brand by following the below mentioned approaches.
- Making up a word
- Reframing unrelated words
- Adding a suggestive word or metaphor
- Describing its literal meaning
- Try altering the word by removing, or adding letters or using latin endings.
- Abbreviate your name
- Get a name by combining two words
Before sticking to a particular name, be sure to check its availability on the website domain.
Choose your brand colors and font
Now that you have your brand name, it is now time for you to think about how you can present it visually. This includes choosing your brand colors and typography.
You need to choose colors that differentiates your brand from your competitors to avoid confusions amongst your target audience. Take Your time in choosing the colors that represent your business. Make use of numerous tools available online. Experiment and sift through different shades to find the right colors for your business.
Having a good font is necessary to convey your brand name and what it delivers. You might use the font on your website, or for promoting your business in the market. It is better if you pick two fonts for your business to avoid unnecessary confusion to the viewers.
Come up with a slogan
It is always good to have a nice, catchy slogan that will describe your business in brief. You can use this as a bio for your pages on social media platforms. You needn’t necessarily stick with the same slogan forever. You can change it as you find new angles for marketing your business. A good slogan should be short, catchy, and make a strong impression on the readers. You can make a claim, or use a metaphor, or write a rhyme.
Design your logo
What is the first thing that comes across your mind when you hear about any brand? Probably the brand colors and the logo. So, you need to work towards designing a unique, identifiable and scalable logo. Considering all the places your logo will be displayed at, you need to have an icon that is recognizable even when it’s small in size. Do your research on popular brands’ logos and experiment with the tools online to design a logo for your business.
You are not done after creating and launching your brand. You need to put in equal efforts to maintain it. For your brand to exist and engage customers, you need to remain consistent. And as your business progresses with time, your brand also needs to evolve, accommodating the new changes. So, you should continue interacting with your target audience and shape your brand accordingly.
While designing your brand, you should remember that you can never control how people will perceive your brand. All you can do is give your best to make your brand resonate with your target audience. Check here if you are looking for brand design services.
Hermit Chawla is a Marketing Manager at Sprak Design. He would love to share thoughts on Brand Design Services, Lifestyle Design, Branding Firm, Exhibition design etc..